Sunday, September 28, 2008

OGS Statement of Interest UPDATED

PLEASE READ THIS ONE...I HAVE MADE SEVERAL SIGNIFICANT CHANGES SINCE MY PREVIOUS POST

2009-2010 OGS – Statement of Interest – Nathalie LaCoste


The focus of my MA research will be on the methods of acquiring wisdom which developed in Jewish and Christian wisdom literature from the Second Temple period.

The preparation I received in my B.A. degree will enable me to pursue original research at the M.A. level which I began September 2008. My preparation includes the study of ancient languages (Hebrew and Greek), historical studies, biblical interpretation and methodology. I am also learning Biblical Aramaic. I have worked with several professors at the University of Toronto whose research interests are closely aligned with my own, Hindy Najman in the field of Second Temple Judaism, Sarianna Metso in the Dead Sea Scrolls and John Kloppenborg in Early Christian writings.

My investigation will explore two aspects of the acquisition of wisdom in the Second Temple period. The first aspect will investigate the transmission and reception of wisdom. The acquisition of wisdom was made possible through ancient prophetic figures invoked in Second Temple texts. For example, Solomon was invoked as the author of a text called the Wisdom of Solomon even though in reality the text was written centuries after his death. It is through the invocation of ancient figures that the wisdom of old is made accessible to later generations through inspired texts which are interpreted and re-presented to the community. The second aspect of my study will explore the pathway to wisdom through Hellenistic philosophy. As Pierre Hadot wrote “Philosophy was a method of spiritual progress which demanded a radical conversion and transformation of the individual’s way of being” (Hadot, Philosophy as a Way of Life, 265). Hellenistic philosophical traditions taught the idea of moral and intellectual perfection as the method of acquiring wisdom. Philo of Alexandra was the first to apply the philosophical ideas about wisdom to the reading and interpretation of the Torah. He was radically innovative in his approach to Jewish authoritative texts in his allegorical interpretation of the Torah as a method of incorporating Hellenistic philosophical ideals.

The field of Hellenistic Judaism has historically focused on the study of wisdom literature as a literary genre. I intend to take a different approach by using textual analysis and comparison to analyze the different methods in which wisdom can be acquired. My approach will build upon the work done by Hindy Najman and Pierre Hadot. I will combine Hindy Najman’s understanding of discourse analysis and the contruction of dialogue between texts with Pierre Hadot’s ideas of Greek philosophy as a method of gaining divine wisdom. My approach will contribute a new perspective to the field of Hellenistic Judaism by focusing on the Hellenistic philosophical tradition and the ways in which it is incorporated into the acquisition of wisdom. My primary texts for transmission and reception are 4Ezra, Ben Sira, Wisdom of Solomon and 4Q Sapiential. The writings of Philo of Alexandria, Marcus Aurelius and Seneca will be my primary texts for the acquisition of Hellenistic wisdom.

There are several broad implications for this project. The first is that my research will illuminate texts which have historically not been connected to the study of Hellenistic Jewish sources. My project also sheds light upon several early connections between the early Jewish and Christian communities. Finally, my research contributes to the contemporary inter-religious debate between the Jewish and Christian traditions, rather than being . They are often viewed as “intimately separate” though they are born out of the same textual origin. By creating a conversation that crosses the traditional linguistic divide, I will seek to construct a dialogue between these texts.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nat,

I think your proposal is really well-structured and thorough. An especially strong point is that you mention specifically which primary sources you will be consulting for your study. I just have a few suggestions:

Since the word “wisdom” shows up numerous times in your proposal, I think it might be beneficial to explain in the first few lines what is meant by “wisdom”. You might also want to explain what the technical term wisdom-literature refers to, before moving to the second paragraph.

Also, I think there may be an error in the last paragraph, on line 4. I think it should read: “Finally, my research contributes to the contemporary inter-religious debate between the Jewish and Christian traditions [omit=, rather than being] They are often viewed as “intimately separate” though they are born out of the same textual origin.”

Your last paragraph is really great in terms of demonstrating the significance of your study, but I wonder if somewhere in it you should reiterate your question for good measure.

Great proposal overall!

Ada Chidichimo Jeffrey said...

Hey Nat,
It's great that you include the names of profs at U of T who you will be working with, it shows the panel that there are unique resources here that enable the research better than elsewhere. Also, I liked the examples of your field of study, very useful for a panel which may not be familiar with your subject. I am envious of your clear methodology and source texts!
One suggestion for the purpose of the panel, is make the inter-religious dialogue part the part that stands out the most. That's the kind of thing that has all sorts of positive buzz words connected with it, (like pluralism, tolerance, dialogue) which will help catch the panel's attention.
Great work!

Mike Jones said...

Hey Nat,
This here is a brilliant proposal, and you've made it very difficult to come up with criticisms. Clear opening for a well thought out project that fits well into scholarship.

There is a grammatical mistake in the last paragraph, which has already been mentioned, but that's about all that stood out to me.

I really like the solomon example, and it should help the OGS staff understand your proposal.

Great work

Andrew said...

Hey Nathalie,

Thought I would check out the other biblical studies proposals. I really look forward to your analyses on the reception of wisdom. I’m especially interested in your studies on the reception of wisdom through Hellenistic philosophy. Just something for you to think about in terms of your research in the future: is Wisdom in the texts which invoke ancient figures the same as the wisdom that the philosophical texts discuss? It might be important down the line to examine the traditional Greek notion of wisdom and whether it is comparable to the Judaic notion. (I suspect that there is a spectrum of answers depending on the particular author.)

My one suggestion for your proposal, however, is in regards to the final line. You write: “My project also sheds light upon several early connections between the early Jewish and Christian communities.” I’m certain that your research can/will shed light on these communities, but what in particular will you be shedding light on? I think if you made more explicit how the study of the reception of wisdom will shed light on the connections between these early communities, you will have a much stronger conclusion to your writing.

All the best,

Andrew

Emily Springgay said...

Hey Nat,
I think this proposal is much stronger, you have definitely removed all the fluff sentences. It is well structured and your research topic is very clear. One thing small thing you may want to add if you have space is how we know that Solomon didn't write The Wisdom of Solomon - is it the context, an anachronism, etc?

Unknown said...

I think it might help to indicate how your esoteric research interest might even vaguely be useful/worth funding, esp. compared to the sciences.

- A psyc major from Queen's also applying for OGS.