Saturday, September 27, 2008

2009-2010 OGS Statement of Interest

2009-2010 OGS – Statement of Interest – Nathalie LaCoste

For my 2 year M.A. research project I am investigating the acquisition of wisdom in early Jewish and Christian literature from the Second Temple period. The achievement of wisdom became an important method of identity-formation during the period of convergence between Jewish beliefs and Hellenistic philosophy. In particluar there arose the concept of the exemplar, ideal figures who had acquired divine wisdom. I am pursusing this research at the M.A. level to better understand how the underlying ideals of an exemplar became highly influential in both Jewish and Christian life and have continue to influence contemporary beliefs.

My investigation will explore two aspects of the acquisition of wisdom in the Second Temple period. The first aspect will investigate the transmission of the Torah through prophetic discourse. Through divinely appointed prophets, the wisdom of the Torah was passed down successive generations and became central to the reception of wisdom. The most recognized prophets (Moses, Ezra and Baruch) became exemplary figures as their lives came to symbolize a unique prophetic connection with the divine. Various names were attributed to these esteemed men, ‘ish elohim, the sage and the scribe, as they represented the critical role of divine wisdom within Jewish society. The second aspect of my study will explore the pathway to wisdom through Hellenistic philosophy. As Pierre Hadot wrote “Philosophy was a method of spiritual progress which demanded a radical conversion and transformation of the individual’s way of being” (Hadot, Philosophy as a Way of Life, 265). It was believed philosophy was a necessary discipline in understanding virtue and reason. Philosophers taught their students the idea of moral perfection which became central to Hellenistic philosophy and the school of Stoicism. The one who attained moral and intellectual perfection, became an exemplar within society known as the ‘sage’.

I am taking a different approach than what has traditionaly been used in the study of Second Temple wisdom literature by building upon the writings of Hindy Najman and Pierre Hadot. I will combine Hindy Najman’s understanding of discourse analysis and the contruction of dialogue between texts with Pierre Hadot’s ideas of Greek Philosophy and the ways in which one becomes an exemplar through Hellenistic philosophy. I will argue that the exemplar serves as a means through which new meaning and understanding can be derived, a way of invoking the past to conceive of a new future.

My research is focused on a critical analysis of literature from the Second Temple period. My primary texts for the transmission of Torah are 4Ezra, Ben Sira, Wisdom of Solomon and 4Q Sapiential. The writings of Philo of Alexandria, Marcus Aurelius and Seneca will be my primary texts for the acquisition of Hellenistic wisdom. By creating a conversation that crosses the traditional linguistic divide, I will construct a dialogue between these texts.

I have undergone extensive research and course work in ancient civilizations, religion, jewish studies and anthropology as well as having worked as a research and editorial assistant. I have also studied Hebrew for three years and am currently working on Greek and Aramaic. I believe that my background studies have eqipped me for my research in wisdom traditions of the Second temple period and will enable me to critically analyze and contribute to the field of early Jewish and Christian thought.

No comments: